Do you know why it is important for us to take care of our teeth? Right from our childhoods, we have learned to brush and care for our teeth, but did it ever occur to you why it is so important? Although we don’t generally take note of it, our teeth play a key role in our food habits and digestion. As kids, we all have learned how chewing your food helps to digest it better and how it helps better digestion.
Having the perfect set of pearly whites which are as healthy as they look can be accomplished through good dental practices.
Fortunately, there are ways to keep our oral health in top condition. Here’s how –
- Dental care and hygiene practices must start from childhood. Most children develop signs of tooth decay even before starting their school. This is why dental care is important as soon as your child’s first tooth appears
- Dental hygienists in Dubai suggest using a damp cloth or an ultra soft brush to clean your child’s teeth. From the age of two, you can start letting your child brush on his or her own under your supervision.
- Once your child’s permanent molars come up, you can schedule a visit to your dentist in Dubai and ask for dental sealants. Sealants can prevent decay in the pits and fissures of the teeth by coating the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- The right amount of fluoride can strengthen the enamel and make it less likely to decay. Most toothpaste and mouthwashes contain fluoride which can help with the process. If not, ask your dental hygienist to recommend the best fluoride toothpaste for you. However, fluoride must be used sparingly for young children as too much of it can cause white spots on their teeth.
- Brushing twice a day can keep tooth decay and gum diseases away. Further, toothbrushes must be changes 3 to 4 times in a year for better hygiene.
- Children with braces may need special toothbrushes and tools to maintain dental hygiene. Your dental hygienist will be able to make the right recommendation.
- Chewing sugar-free gum after a meal will increase the saliva flow in your mouth, which can naturally wash away the bacteria. Also, using an antibacterial rinse to wash your mouth will help prevent decay and gum problems.
- If you or your child play sports, always make sure to wear a mouth guard to block all blows to your teeth. Your dentist can help you get a form-fitting customised mouth guard which will keep your teeth safe from any potential accidents
- Maintain a healthy diet always. A well-balanced meal with whole foods including grains, nuts, fruits, vegetables and milk products will provide all the right nutrients you need. Omega-3 fats found in fish have anti-inflammatory properties, which reduces the chances of gum diseases.
- Avoid the consumption of carbonated drinks and sugary foods. The bacteria in your mouth can break down these sugars into acids which can erode the tooth enamel, which increases the chances of tooth decay.
- Avoid smoking and the use of tobacco products. Smoking is one of the primary reasons for gum diseases. Severe gum diseases if left untreated can lead to permanent loss of your teeth. Smoking also causing staining and yellowing of your teeth, making it look unhealthy.
All kinds of dental issues including gum issues, cavities and enamel erosion can be effectively prevented through good oral habits. Consult your dental hygienist in Dubai for professional care and better guidance to maintaining a healthy smile.